Olive House Rock
Very large --Sleeps 12 in 6 bedrooms
Smaller 3 bedroom cottage also available click here
Availability andprices are available on www.cottageguide.co.uk/olivehouse
Photo tour available,click here
OliveHouse at Lategetaway
It has a secluded flat enclosed garden with oversize gardenfurniture, shady tree, patio and pond.
It has a semicircular in-out drivewith
parking for four car without blocking
It has six bedrooms, three doubles, two bunks and a twin.
Olive House is in the centre of the
Rock is on the North Cornwall coast, on the east side of
theRiver Camel, whose estuary offers surfing at Polzeath,Golf,
sailing, water-skiing at Rock, with more serious shopping at
The beach, quay,golfand sailing clubs are about a mile away down a road that dead-ends in theQuarry carpark.
There are numerous footpaths both along the coast, which islargely Duchy of Cornwall and National Trust land, andinland across farm land.
Rock is about 150 miles from
Olive House was built in 1903 for one Mr Hancock, of
The house was named for his daughter Olive, who lived thereuntil 1927, when Tremead next door was built for her,and the main house sold.
In 1945 the house was bought by
In 1955, Olive House was bought by Arthur and Phyllis Eddy,farmers from Redruth, who ran it as a guesthouseuntil they retired. They still live inthe village (Jan 2003).
From 1986 to April 2000, the house was owned by the
Finally, in April 2000, we, Philip and Karen
In time for the Summer 2000 season,we were only able to refurbish the main kitchen, iethe part with the AGA, fitting new units, lights and flooring after combining thekitchen, pantry and corridor into one room. The breakfast room was so bad itwas locked up out of use for the year.
In time for Summer 2001 we reopened the breakfast room, andthe extended kitchen…..the sink area was previously a utility room, a bathroom,and the staff smoking room !!! The AGA was renewed,and the SouthWest face of the house sealed, paintedand chimneys re-rendered
In time for Summer 2002 we added a shower in bedroom 7(downstairs), demolished partitions in the garden room, the lobby, thedownstairs hall and the upstairs landing…. effectively returning the house toits pre-old-peoples-home design as a large family home. (Sleeps 12…. Mummy,Daddy and 10 children !!!… or more often in itsholiday use, Granddad and Grandma, Mummy and Daddy, Uncle and Aunt plus up to 6children… matching the 3 double beds and 6 singles !!!)
Winter 2002/3, the project was to completely refurbish themain bathroom, with new window, replastered, newchinaware and a shower.
Winter 2003/4 we had an easy time, just replacing two backdoors (kitchen and loo) and double glazing adjacent, and refurbishing theunder-stairs loo
Winter 2004/5 we demolished the wall between the two
Winter 2005/6 we refurbished bedroom 3, which was mainlyremoving wallpaper and repainting.
Winter 2006/7 we refurbished bedroom 6, replacing its
Winter 2007/8 we refurbished bedroom 4, removing its box
Summers are spent working on the owner’s cottage in the backgarden!.